More than 250 residents of Mbitini, Makueni County have been left homeless after floods washed away their homes following a heavy downpour on Wednesday last week.
Property worthy thousands of shillings was also lost after the raging floods accompanied by strong winds destroyed homes and other premises.
Reports by Nzaui Deputy County Commissioner Mr. Franklin Ongori said no casualties were reported and that the affected families had sought refuge in the nearby schools. Ongori singled out Masumba, Nguu, Kavuthu,Valunei, Katani and Mii as the villages worst hit by the floods.
The Deputy Commissioner said that the national government in conjunction with the county government had donated foodstuffs and mattresses to the affected families and appealed for more donations to help the displaced residents.
“The national government has given each family has been 20kg rice and 10kg of beans, while the county government gave out the mattresses and blankets,” he said.
Governor Kivutha Kibwana in his official Facebook page said that his government had already send officers to the affected regions to assess the damage and promised to extend help to the affected families.
The floods got the attention of residents on social media who attributed them to deforestation and called for an immediate stop of the vice.
The displacement of the residents of Mbitini comes against a wake of increasing reports of floods across the country. More than 9 people are feared dead in Narok after flash floods caused by massive downpour Tuesday, April 28 carried away homes and buildings leaving a trail of death and destruction. With the weather man’s warning that most parts of the country may continue to receive slightly above normal rainfall in the next few days, things could only get worse for a country that is ill equipped with disaster management.