Security Snip 2

A picture doing rounds on social media of a terror suspect in connection to the Egerton University terror scare message that was circulated last week. Two students were arrested and later released.

Two Egerton University students who were arrested over the weekend for spreading a terror message on social media have been released.

The two Titus Nyaga and Alex Wachira were arrested on Saturday at around 1 am for spreading a message on Facebook saying that the University which is situated in Njoro would be the next target after the Garissa University attack that claimed at least 147 lives.

Njoro Police Boss Fredrick Lai has confirmed that the students were released on bond the same day.

“We released them at around 5 pm” he said adding that investigations were still ongoing.

“The two were not the originators of the message. After we interrogated them we established that they were only passing the information to their colleagues.”

The man who posted the information has been identified as Robert Mungai alias Robert Mohammed Blues and has already been named in a police wanted list.

Lai said they will work with cyber crime experts to identify the man as his search continues. He said the two students will continue being treated as suspects.

“Until we cancel the bond they are still suspects,” he said.

Following the Thursday morning attack which was the worst since the 1998 bomb blast the leaders from the North Eastern region have vowed to identify Al-Shabaab sympathizers.

Led by Garissa Township Member of Parliament and Majority Leader Adan Duale the leaders also pledged to contribute Ksh15 million towards assisting the survivors and families of the victims of the Garissa attack.

A Nakuru human rights defender has however criticized the move as coming too late and riddled with hypocrisy.
Mwangi Muraya of Midrift Human Rights Network wondered why the leaders were doing it now after all the deaths that have occurred in the country due to terror related attacks.

“These are people who are known. The leaders should have done this earlier,” he said.

One of the four attackers in the Garissa attack was identified as the son of a local chief who studied law at the University of Nairobi. Abdirahim Mohammed Abdullahi was killed in the attack which only mainly targeted Christians.

Muraya opined that the leaders should be questioned by police for any leading information on terror attacks in the country.

“Kenya will go to the dogs if we continue with these kinds of attacks fueled along religious lines,” he said.